When it comes to moving, few tasks are as complicated as the international move . Packing up your belongings and moving to another country involves a lot of research and planning. One major cause for confusion is figuring out which items will need to clear customs when you arrive in your new country.
Here’s a quick guide from the pros at Nilson Van to help you get some clarification on what to expect to clear customs:
5 Steps to Get Through Customs Successfully
First, you will need to secure an estimate or quote for your move, and then select your moving company with experience in international moves. This step is important, because once you have your mover lined up, they will be able to guide you through the process and help you with clearing customs when the time comes.
- Find out the duties and taxes for which you will be responsible for going through customs; make sure you have the most recent list, because they often change without notice.
- Inquire about the customs clearance office or company with which you will be working at your destination. Call them in advance with questions to ensure there are no surprises.
- Each country’s customs process is different, so don’t assume if you have navigated it in one destination you will be fine for another.
- If you are bringing pets, you will typically need to show proof they have a microchip.
- Each country has a list of commonly restricted items. Check with your destination to make sure you aren’t trying to bring any items on the list.
Let Nilson Van Guide You Successfully Through Customs
You will want to have our team of international move experts on your side as you prepare to clear customs. We know the ins and outs of the process and will help you to learn everything you need to know about the customs in your destination country. Visit us online today to get your free quote.