Most Americans have a lot of stuff, and a lot of times, that stuff needs to go into a storage unit. When you look at your belongings in your home, it can be hard to figure out how much space you need for it. Take a look at some tips for figuring out how large of a storage unit you need.
Why Size Matters
A storage unit that is too small means belongings crammed in, leaving them vulnerable to breaking. It also makes it difficult, if not impossible, to access what you need when you need it. A storage unit that is too big, on the other hand, is just a waste of money. You want to find a unit that’s just right for your needs.
Size Guide for Your Stuff
Whether you’re putting a few things in storage to get them out of the way or your whole home’s worth of belongings needs storing, this handy guide can help you determine how much space you need:
- 5’x5’ = a small closet
- 5’x10’ = a small a walk-in closet
- 5’x15’ = a large walk-in closet
- 10’x10’ = an average-sized family room plus boxes or two small bedrooms plus boxes
- 10’x15 = family room furniture plus three average-sized bedrooms and boxes
- 10’x20’ = an average two to three-bedroom house including appliances and boxes
- 10’x25’ = a three-bedroom house including appliances, dining room furniture, TV, couches, mattresses, and boxes
- 10’x30’ = a three to five-bedroom house including large items like sectionals, appliances, mattress sets, and large boxes
Needing storage for excess items is fairly common. But if you’re moving and you need short-term storage, you need a moving company that can help you with both your relocation and your storage needs. Nilson Van and Storage is your go-to for everything you need for your move. Contact them today to find out more.